Monday, May 29, 2017

Warhammer 40k Blood Angels

First patch of the Blood Angels is now ready to ship for the battle zone. Total of 10 tactical marines and 9 jump pack assault marines.

Painting these was a combination of something I came up a while ago when painting the terms for the Space Hulk 2015 game and other part was experimenting and trying to come up with efficient method for painting large amounts of marines (I'm under the impression theres around 150 of these guys with tanks, planes and shit coming to the painting table).

I summarise what I did here:

  1. Vallejo Panzer Grey Primer
  2. White Zenithal highlighting
  3. Gloss Varnish Coat
  4. Nun Oil Gloss wash (trying to stay away from the lighted areas)
  5. Matt Varnish Coat
  6. Gentle white Zenithal to tidy up lighted areas of the wash
  7. Very thin Vallejo Ferrari red Glaze painted with an airbrush
  8. Black areas like armour rims, weapons and skulls painted with Panzer Grey
  9. Metal areas painted with generic metal and gold (gold only to special weapon nozzles and bazooka ammo)
  10. Army Painter Strong Tone (similar to devlan mud) to metal areas
  11. Edge highlighting and highlighting the imperial eagle crest with a water color pen
  12. Base with Astrogranite and Strong Tone wash with some tufts
  13. Matt Varnish to seal the highlights (they don't stick at all so a varnish is mandatory)
  14. Green spots like lights and eyes with green (sorry don't remember the color, but its bright!)
  15. Oh and for the heavy weapon dudes I painted blue helmets, because apparently they look better in parades with occasional splash of color in a see of read
For the assault marines I:
  1. Painted the helmets with white + Strong Tone + GW Yellow Glaze
  2. Painted gentle OSL effects to the turbines on their backs and to lower legs
I am content with these, and I'm sure they'll look fine on the battlefield, but I hope to get better. I especially think that the yellow helmets could be better. It seems I'm gonna get a lot of practise so lets see.

Images:







No comments:

Post a Comment