Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Doom the Boardgames - Painted the Miniatures

My friend with the Descent miniatures, got himself into the new Doom Boardgame from Fantasy Flight Games and asked me to paint the miniatures for that as well. I'm guessing, being a good chap, he wanted to give me a chance to redeem myself after messing up the fantasy guys.

I must say I didn't much look forwards to this, because the Descent miniatures were mostly crap from a miniature painters viewpoint (The game is great though). I wouldn't call them miniatures, but game pieces which look like miniatures. Well maybe that's a bit of exaggeration... I guess I'm just used to better stuff and really actual miniatures do not fit boardgames very well. You have to show them some love before you get to play and also after they are ready, if you don't want them to break in use.

However... The figures, when they came, were a huge surprise towards the positive!

The material was not that rubbery stuff. I mean it was still a little rubbery, but tougher kind of rubbery :) The sculpts were mostly ok, here and there AMAZING good (looking at you Cyber Demon).

The miniatures are clearly more than inspired by the Doom 2016 PC game and that was a good choice, since the models in that game are awesome. It also helped the painting, because there's loads of very nice pictures from the game, which allowed me to basically copy the paint job from online pictures.

Here're the images:

Cyber Demon




Macubus




Cacodemon


Baron of Hell


Revenant


Pinky


Possessed Soldier


Imp


The PC's (I'd choose the Chainsaw every time)


Family portrait


No comments:

Post a Comment